It was just early February when we were back in the United States getting ready to leave Florida and sail away from the country we knew as home. Now it’s spring 2022, and we’re sailing to uninhabited islands in The Bahamas. Specifically, we’re heading to the Abacos (Abaco Islands) and plan to spend 5 days living on Great Sale Cay and Powell Cay.
After leaving Florida, sailing to West End Bahamas, and waiting for good weather, we set sail in the Abaco Islands to explore and live on uninhabited islands for 5 days! We sail to and explore Great Sale Cay and Powell Cay. This episode is full of sailing, snorkeling, hiking, sunsets, tropical beaches, secluded vistas, and loads of fun!
Episode 118 Five Days Sailing and Living on Uninhabited Islands
Here’s an outline of the video in case you like to skip around.
- 00:00 Intro
- 01:15 Planning the Trip on Charts
- 02:30 Traversing Indian Cut
- 03:20 Sailing to Great Sale Cay, Abacos Bahamas
- 05:15 Day 1 Great Sale Cay Sunset and Sailboat Cocktails
- 06:40 Day 2 Sailing to Powell Cay in the Abacos
- 08:30 Anchoring in Powell Cay
- 10:00 Day 3 Snorkeling Powell Cay
- 12:20 Day 4 At anchor, chores, and quick explorations
- 14:20 Garlic Knot Recipe
- 14:40 Day 5 Living in Uninhabited Islands in the Abacos
- 17:30 Island Life, Plastic Collection, and Beach Time
- 18:50 Snorkeling, Fish with Legs, Coral, Snapper
Garlic Knot Recipe
- 1 Cup. Low-fat Greek yogurt or full-fat Greek yogurt all work.
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Butter or oil
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan
- 3 Cloves Chopped Garlic (or more ?)
- 1 Tbsp. Italian herbs – A must for any Italian style bread. Italian herbs are a mix of oregano, basil, and thyme.
How To Cook:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper..
- Dough: In a large mixing bowl, add flour and yogurt. Mix well. Form into a ball shape.
- Divide the dough: Lightly flour a kitchen surface, and sprinkle a tablespoon of flour onto the dough. Transfer the dough onto the floured surface, and press flat-ish. Divide the dough into 12 parts for medium-sized knots.
- Roll: Roll each piece of dough into a long shape. Twist the dough into a knot shape, and place on pan.
- Brush and bake: Melt butter (or butter and oil mixture). Add garlic and herbs to butter. Brush to brush the garlic butter mixture over each of the knots completely. Bake the garlic knots for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden on the tops.
- Enjoy: Remove from oven and add salt to taste. Enjoy!!!
About Great Sale Cay
Great Sale Cay is a private 370 acre island in Abaco Bahamas. It is listed for sale, but for now, it’s an uninhabited island north of Grand Bahama.
About Powell Cay
Located about 3 miles north of Coopers Town, Abaco, Powell Cay is about 290 acres rich with forest, beaches, and coral. We loved this little island. It gave us protection from a gusty norther that blew through, and it provided some amazing snorkeling!
I hope you enjoyed this video and the recipe! Please leave us a comment below, and do us a favor by sharing the video with a friend!